Mixed Vegetable Thoran, Low Salt Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 16 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 3798 times
Thoran is an all-time favourite Keralite vegetable preparation. It is a simple but flavour-packed method of tempering veggies with red chillies and garlic, and seasoning it with crushed cumin seeds.
A dash of red chilli powder adds a touch of spice to this peppy dish. Do not miss out on the garlic, because it not only adds flavour to the Mixed Vegetable Thoran but also helps control your blood pressure.
The combination of ingredients in the tempering gives the Thoran such a rich aroma and flavour that you do not feel the reduction in salt. Enjoy this South Indian delicacy with whole wheat rotis .
- Heat oil in a deep non-stick pan and add mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal, dry red chillies and garlic and sauté on medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the onions, carrot, french beans, green peas and salt and sauté on medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 tbsp of water and mix well. Cover it with a lid and cook on medium flame for 6 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cumin seeds and chilli powder, mix well and cook on medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||223.2 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||7.8 mg|
|Folic Acid||11.8 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.