Mixed Dal with Spinach and Kabuli Chana
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 200 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 56259 times
mixed dal palak recipe | easy dal palak | healthy mixed dal with spinach | dal palak dhaba style |
mixed dal with spinach and kabuli chana is a simple, everyday dal which can be relished by people of all ages. Learn how to make mixed dal with spinach.
When mixed dal with spinach is further augmented by kabuli chana and spinach to make mixed dal with spinach, the experience gets richer. Cabbage and tomatoes give the dal crunch and tang, while a rich paste of cashews, coconut and spices gives the mixed dal with spinach and kabuli chana an irresistible taste and texture too.
To make mixed dal palak, combine chana dal, masoor dal and yellow moong dal and soak them in enough water for 2 hours and pressure cook them till done. Meanwhile make a paste of cashews, coconut, Kashmiri chillies, coriander seeds, cloves, poppy seeds and little oil. Heat the oil and fry this paste for a minute. Add tomatoes and cook them for 2 minutes. Then cook cabbage and spinach for 3 to 4 minutes. Finally add the cooked dal, salt and little sugar and cook for another 2 minutes. Add lemon juice to balance the taste, mix well and serve hot.
Even if it is prepared using the same procedure adopted for individual dals, a mixture of dals always results in a different texture, aroma and flavour resulting from the synergy of the mix. That’s why this easy dal palak is so unique.
Tips for mixed dal palak. 1. Soak the dals for sure so pressure cooking time is reduced. 2. Do not over cook spinach, else you will lose its green colour. 3. Make the paste with the exact amount of each ingredient to experience the true dal palak dhaba style.
See why this is a healthy mixed dal with spinach? See Spinach is a good source of iron, while the dals lend good amounts of protein. You can use slightly less oil in the tempering of easy dal palak to make it healthier.
Serve this dal palak dhaba style with phulka or roti.
Enjoy mixed dal palak recipe | easy dal palak | healthy mixed dal with spinach | dal palak dhaba style | with video below.
Add your private note
Mixed Dal with Spinach and Kabuli Chana recipe - How to make Mixed Dal with Spinach and Kabuli Chana
Soaking Time: Overnight Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
8 hours 36 minutesMakes 5 servings
- To make mixed dal with spinach and kabuli chana, combine the dals, kabuli chana, turmeric powder, salt and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the prepared paste and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and 2 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cabbage, spinach, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked dal mixture, little salt and sugar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Serve the mixed dal with spinach and kabuli chana hot with parathas or rotis.
Mixed Dal with Spinach and Kabuli Chana Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
RECIPE SOURCE : Dals
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.