Added to 75 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 21492 times
Methambo is one of the best known pickles. Gujaratis are great consumers of all sorts of sweet and spicy pickles, with methambo being one of their favourites. Mustard seeds and round red chillies are first added to the oil, then the mango pieces dressed with turmeric powder and salt are sautéed till tender, after which jaggery is added and cooked till it has dissolved. After the methambo has cooled down completely, it is spiced with chilli powder. Methambo is very similar to golkeri, but the only difference is that methambo is tempered with whole spices whereas golkeri is not. It is an excellent accompaniment for almost all meals.
- Combine the mangoes, salt and turmeric powder and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Drain out the excess juices.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the round red chillies, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, cinnamon and asafoetida and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the mango cubes and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the jaggery and stir the mixture continuously over a very slow flame till the jaggery has dissolved.
- Cool the mixture completely, add the chilli powder and mix well.
- Bottle in a sterilised glass jar and store in a cool dry place for upto 6 months.
- This pickle is ready to eat after 3 to 4 days.
- Care has to be taken while dissolving jaggery on the flame .
- Cook only till the jaggery dissolves and immediately take the pickle out of the flame to prevent the jaggery from getting caramelised.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||432 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||0 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.