Masalawali Toovar Dal
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 16 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 9568 times
A fiery paste of dry red chillies, aromatic seeds and pungent ginger and garlic is at the heart of this Masalawali Toovar Dal. Although it sounds too hot, it actually ends up enjoyably semi-spicy, when this paste is combined with cooked toovar dal, baby onions and tomatoes, making the Masalawali Toovar Dal a wonderful accompaniment for any type of Rotis , Parathas or a bowl of hot rice.
- Combine the toovar dal, baby onions and 1½ cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the prepared paste and sauté on a medium flame for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the cooked toovar dal, tomatoes, salt and 1 cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 7 to 8 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.