Low- Calorie White Sauce
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 100 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 45717 times
Even when you load a white sauce based recipe with healthy veggies and other nutritious ingredients, there is still a niggling concern about the amount of butter and refined flour that goes into the white sauce. Not any more! Here is a delectable Low-Calorie White Sauce made with just one teaspoon of low-fat butter and whole wheat flour instead of maida. Cauliflower purée along with low-fat milk imparts a luscious creaminess to the sauce, making it just as good as the authentic recipe. Use this guilt-free white sauce to make your favourite international dishes.
- Combine the cauliflower and 2 cups of water in a deep non-stick pan and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 7 to 8 minutes or till the cauliflower softens and the water has almost evaporated. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Blend the cauliflower (along with the little water remaining) in a mixer to a smooth purée and strain it using a strainer. Keep aside.
- Heat the butter in a broad non-stick pan, add the whole wheat flour and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds or till the wheat flour turns light brown in colour.
- Add the milk and cauliflower purée, mix well using a whisk till no lumps remain and bring to boil.
- Add the salt and pepper, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Use as required.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.