by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 50 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 50811 times
Makhana is a wonderful ingredient, much loved by youngsters and elders alike. Its dainty appearance and unique texture makes it appealing to even kids. Khoya Makhana is an exotic preparation of makhana, with the captivating flavour of ghee.
The makhanas are deep-fried in ghee and cooked in a rich gravy, which has the tangy flavour of tomatoes and curds, the intense flavour of Indian spices and spice powders, and the luxuriant texture of crumbled mava. Khoya Makhana is an elaborate dish fit to be served on special occasions.
- Heat a non-stick pan, put the makhanas and dry roast on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, whiles tossing continuously.
- Heat the ghee for deep-frying in a deep non-stick pan, add the roasted makhanas and deep-fry till they turn light golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper. Keep aside.
- Combine the tomatoes and ½ cup of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 6 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Cool and blend in a mixer till smooth. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the ginger, green chillies, turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilli powder, garam masala and 1 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato pulp, khoya and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes ,while stirring occasionally.
- Add the curds and mix well.
- Add the deep-fried makhanas, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.