Kakara Pitha, Sooji Kakara Pitha
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 2 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 21633 times
A classic treat from Odia cuisine, the Kakara Pitha is a scrumptious sweet that everyone will enjoy, right from kids to elders.
Deep-fried semolina balls with a sweet coconut stuffing, the Kakara Pitha has a fascinating mix of textures with an exciting crispness leading to succulent sweetness. Since coconut is available in plenty in Odisha, it is used in a lot of traditional desserts such as this one.
While black pepper and cardamom powder lend a flavourful touch to the coconut filling, a dash of fennel gives a unique taste to the cover. While the outer covering is usually made with semolina, you can make it with whole wheat flour also.
The Kakara Pitha can be served as a snack or dessert, and is often made on special occasions like poojas, birthdays and kids’ parties festivals.
Enjoy how to make Kakara Pitha recipe with detailed step by step photos below.
- In a kadhai boil about 3 cup of water with the salt, sugar,fennel seeds and 1 tsp ghee.
- Add the semolina and stir continuously for 4 minutes over a slow to medium flame. Cook till all the semolina is swollen and the mixture starts coming together like a ball.
- Remove the mixture on a plate and allow it to cool down for about 15 minutes.
- Grease your palms with a little ghee and knead the mixture to form a smooth dough.
- Heat a non stick pan.
- Add grated coconut and sugar ,black pepper powder and the cardamom powder.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes till the sugar melts.
- Divide the semolina dough into 8 equal portions
- Take one portion and make a ball. Flatten it to make a disc.
- Put the stuffing in the center and cover it by bringing the edges to the center.
- Roll it again to make a ball and flatten to make a disc-like shape.
- Repeat this process to make 7 more kakara pitha.
- Heat oil in a kadhai over a medium flame.
- Put 1-2 kakara pitha at a time into the hot oil.
- Flip when one side is golden brown.
- Remove from the flame when the other side also becomes golden brown. It will take about 2-3 minutes to fry 1 pitha.
- Place all the kakara pitha on an absorbent paper. Serve warm.
Kakara Pitha, Sooji Kakara Pitha recipe with step by step photos
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per dumpling
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.