Dahi Bhendi ( Odisha Style Okra Raita)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 1 cookbook
This recipe has been viewed 2049 times
A refreshing preparation of bhindi and curd, the Dahi Bhendi is a wonderful accompaniment to the main course.
With the soothing flavour of dahi, elevated to just the right level of spiciness by the simple but effective tadka, this Odisha style raita helps to balance the spiciness of other subzis.
It has a very different mouth-feel as it is made of large chunks of bhindi, sautéed with onions and then added to the curd. This method of preparation ensures that the bhindi is not too sticky.
The tadka gives an awesome flavour and aroma to the dahi. The Dahi Bhendi is part of a traditional Odia Thali, and is relished with rice or roti.
Enjoy how to make Dahi Bhendi recipe with detailed step by step photos below.
- To make dahi bhendi, cut off the top and the bottom of the bhindi and cut it into 2 halves.
- Heat 2 tbsp. Oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté them till they become translucent or for 30 seconds.
- Add the bhindi, and salt, mix well and cover and cook with a lid on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the curd with the salt to taste.
- Transfer the bhindi to the whisked curd and mix well. Keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat 2 tbsp. Oil in a small broad non-stick pan.
- Add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and dry red chilies and sauté for 30 seconds till they crackle.
- Pour this tempering over the prepared curd and bhindi mixture and mix well.
- Serve the dahi bhendi raita immediately.
Dahi Bhendi ( Odisha Style Okra Raita) recipe with step by step photos
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.