Horsegram Chutney, Kollu Thogiyal, Kollu Chutney
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 5 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 27410 times
Horsegram is a special pulse, which imbibes a mind-blowing aroma and flavour when roasted.
Here, horsegram is combined with other delicious ingredients like coconut, red chillies, onions and coriander to make a mouth-watering chutney, which is perfect to serve with idlis and dosas . You can also enjoy the Horsegram Chutney or Kollu Chutney mixed with hot rice and a little til oil.
- Dry roast the horsegram in a broad non-stick pan on a medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Soak the roasted horsegram in enough water for 1 hour. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the soaked horsegram and enough water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the urad dal and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the onions, garlic and red chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the coriander and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the boiled kulith, coconut and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cool slightly and blend in a mixer along with 1¼ cups of water and salt till coarse.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl and keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a small non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds, urad dal, asafeotida and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the prepared chutney and mix well.
- Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container in the fridge, it will lasts for 2 to 3 days.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per tbsp
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.