Green Peppercorns in Brine
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 39 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 38817 times
Green peppercorns bottled in brine (i.e. salt solution) are exported from Tamil Nadu to other parts of the world. This delicacy of unripe peppers is available for only for a few weeks in a year i.e. before the monsoons and before the onset of the winters. You will find them at certain specialty vegetable vendors, so look out for them. Carefully wash the peppercorns so that you can retain them with their stalks on. A teaspoon of oil added to the recipe acts as a protective covering for the peppercorns and helps to keep them for a longer period.
- Wash the green peppercorns carefully (so as to retain them on their stalks) and pat them dry using a dry kitchen towel. Keep aside.
- Boil 2 cups of water in a pan. Add the turmeric powder and salt and mix well. Cool completely.
- Add the peppercorns and lemon juice and mix gently.
- Bottle the pickle in a sterilised glass jar. The salt water should just cover the peppercorns. Add the oil.
- Leave aside in a cool dry place.
- This pickle is ready to serve after 3 to 4 days. It can stored for upto 1 year (at room temperature).
- VARIATION :
- DORAS IN BRINE
- Use 100 grams doras (tenti dela) instead of green peppercorns for the above recipe.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per tbsp
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.