Gongura Pulihora Recipe, Andhra Style Pulao
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 2 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 6536 times
Gojjus or pastes are a popular component of Andhra cuisine. These spicy pastes, made with a combination of greens, veggies and spices are sautéed with rice to make a quick, pulao like dish.
It is part of their everyday cuisine. This particular Gongura Pulihora is made of rice mixed with a spicy paste of gongura leaves, which are very famous in Andhra Pradesh.
These leaves have a naturally tangy flavour with a mild sourness, which when combined with red chillies and other spices makes a very flavourful paste.
A traditional tempering that includes garlic gives this Gongura Pulihora a striking flavour, while cashews and peanuts give it an exciting crunch. Try this regional delicacy and you will make it a part of your kitchen too!
You can also use gongura leaves with dal, like in Gongura Pappu .
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a deep non-stick pan , add 1 tsp of mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the curry leaves, red chillies, turmeric powder, gongura leaves and little salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 7 to 8 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside to cool completely.
- Blend this mixture to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tbsp oil in the same deep non-stick pan, add the chana dal and urad dal and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1 tsp of mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida, garlic, red chillies, green chillies, roasted peanuts, and cashewnuts and sauté on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the prepared gongura paste, rice and salt , mix gently and cook on medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with papad and curds.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||112.8 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||2.4 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||13.4 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.