Garlic Rasam, South Indian Poondu Rasam
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 83 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 36326 times
A rasam that imbibes the goodness of garlic, this is good for digestion as well as for general well-being. Make this rasam at least once a fortnight and enjoy its flavour along with its health benefits.
Medu Vada makes an ideal match for Rasam. Just soak the vadas in the rasam and enjoy.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add all the ingredients and sauté on a slow flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till they release flavor. Keep aside.
- Allow it to cool slightly and then blend in a mixer to a smooth powder.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan, add the garlic and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes or till they turn golden brown in colour. Remove and keep aside.
- Combine the tamarind water and the salt in a deep non- stick pan, mix well and cook on a slow flame 7 to 8 minutes or till the raw smell of tamarind disappears.
- Add the sautéed garlic and the prepared masala, mix well and simmer for another 4 to 5 minutes or till the mixture thickens.
- For the tempering, heat the ghee in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the red chillies and sauté for a few seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the boiling rasam, mix well and simmer for another minute. Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.