Drumstick Dal, South Indian Style Dal
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 12 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 23523 times
Think of this as a more flavourful variant of the everyday Sambhar. A sumptuous mixture of cooked toovar dal, drumstick and vegetables like onions and tomatoes is flavoured with a spicy paste of coconut, onions and spices, and tempered with a traditional mix of mustard seeds and red chillies.
A few sprigs of curry leaves add to the mind-blowing aroma and flavour of this South Indian Style Drumstick Dal. Serve this tasty dal with rice , idlis or dosas .
- Combine the dal , turmeric and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape, before opening the lid.
- Transfer the dal in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions, tomatoes, drumstick, chopped curry leaves, salt and 1 cup of water, mix well and cover it with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 12 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared coarse mixture and 1 cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds and sauté on medium flame for few seconds.
- Add the kashmiri red chilli and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the prepared dal, mix well and serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||222.4 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.3 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.6 mg|
|Vitamin C||45.3 mg|
|Folic Acid||53.9 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.