Date and Apple Kheer
by Tarla Dalal
4/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 25 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 30017 times
Kheer has always been a part of the Indian spread. Times have changed, but kheer continues to find a special place in our meal! over time, several variations of kheer have emerged.
Here I present a very healthy version, especially for diabetics a dessert made with apples and dates cooked in low fat milk and sweetened with sugar substitutes.
Dates and apples impart their natural sweetness and fibre, while walnuts add crunch and taste to this kheer. Milk has abundant proteins and calcium,and the goodness of apples and dates, of course, needs no explanation!
- Combine the apples, sugar and 3 tbsp of water in a non-stick pan and cook over a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring continuously. Refrigerate to chill.
- Combine the milk, sugar substitute and dates in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and simmer for 10 minutes while stirring continuously. Refrigerate to chill.
- Just before serving add the cooked apples to the milk-dates mixture and mix gently.
- Serve chilled garnished with walnuts and apples.
- It is highly recommended that this recipe be relished by diabetics only occasionally and in small quantities. This is just a mere ‘treat’ and does not qualify for a regular diabetic menu.
Nutrient values per serving
|Energy|| 80 calories|
|Protein|| 3.4 gm|
|Carbohydrates|| 10.8 gm|
|Fat|| 2.5 gm|
|Calcium|| 119.8 mg|
|Fibre|| 0.5 gm|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.