Daria Chikki, Roasted Chana Dal Chikki
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 7 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 8927 times
When it comes to any mithai, there is no disputing the fact that anything that is homemade with love tastes much better than store-bought ones. This holds true for chikkis too! Yes, chikki – the wonderful Indian snack that continues to enchant several generations of people with its timeless charm.
Here is a detailed step-by-step recipe that shows you how to make Daria Chikki at home. Chikki-making is an art, but this recipe will surely help you master it. Just make sure you keep all the required items ready on the kitchen platform before you begin making the chikki, and make sure you use only an aluminium kadhai to get the right temperature and texture.
While the chikki is still hot, remember to turn it upside down frequently as described in the recipe so that both sides will be smooth and glossy. It stays fresh in an airtight container for at least one month!
- Heat an aluminium kadhai on a high flame.
- Add the jaggery, mix well and cook on a high flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Lower the flame to slow and keep stirring continuously for 3 minutes, till it forms foam and changes the colour.
- Switch off the flame and keep stirring for few more seconds.
- Add the daria and mix very well.
- Put it on a greased platform, while mixing it upside down using a flat ladle.
- Pat the mixture, with greased hands and roll it using a greased rolling pin to make 275 mm. (11”) diameter circle.
- While rolling make sure it does not stick on the platform. If it sticks, loosen it using a flat ladle, and roll again.
- Cut immediately using a sharp knife into equal squares. Cool completely.
- Break into pieces and store it in an airtight container in a cool and dry place.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per piece
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.