Curd Upma, Breakfast Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 33 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 15817 times
Upma made with semolina is one of the most famous breakfast dishes in India. We have tweaked the traditional recipe slightly, by cooking the roasted rava in a mixture of curds and water instead of just water.
This gives a nice consistency and pleasant, rustic tang to the upma. This, in fact, used to be one of the traditional secrets of cooking upma in Tamil Nadu, and many grandmas used to add a cup of buttermilk or a little curds to the upma, claiming that it would taste better and also digest more easily.
Serve the Curd Upma hot and fresh with chutney and sambhar or just a little powdered jaggery!
You can also try other breakfast recipes like the Methi Thalipeeth or Palak Chola Dal Idli .
- Combine the curds, green chilli paste, salt and 2½ cups of water in a deep bowl, whisk well and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the urad dal and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the rava and sauté on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the curd-water mixture and coriander, mix well cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.