Corn and Celery Chowder
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 17 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 22427 times
A classic English soup that will warm your senses! the word ‘chowder’ essentially originates from new England and refers to the way in which fishermen threw their catch and other ingredients into a large pot that cooked until a hearty broth was ready. Today chowder is an extremely popular soup in the United States and is experimented with extensively.
In this vegetarian version, we’ve included corn, celery and an assortment of vegetables and simmered it in a creamy white base for a delicious flavour.
Serve this hearty soup to stimulate the palate, followed by Starters / Snacks , Salads , Main Course and end on a sweet note with some delicious Desserts
- Combine all the vegetables along with 4 cups of water in a deep pan and boil on a medium flame for 20 minutes. Keep aside to cool.
- Blend in a mixer till smooth and strain using a strainer. Keep aside.
- Heat the butter in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions and celery and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the plain flour, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Add the white stock and milk, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the corn, salt and pepper, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with celery and cheese.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||182.3 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.4 mg|
|Vitamin C||10.9 mg|
|Folic Acid||11 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.