Chinese Rice, Chinese Cooked Rice
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 338 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 59785 times
There is a very specific way of cooking rice for Chinese recipes, so that you get well-cooked yet separate grains, which can then be added to recipes like Schezuan Fried Rice , 5 Spice Mushroom Rice , and even certain Stir-fries and Soups .
You will be able to draw a parallel between the way rice and noodles are cooked in Chinese cuisine, as both require cooking with oil and refreshing with cold water to avoid mushiness.
- Wash the rice thoroughly and soak in enough water in a deep bowl for 30 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Boil 4 cups of water in a deep non-stick pan, add salt and 1 tbsp of oil and mix well.
- Add the rice to the boiling water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 to 12 minutes or till the rice is 85% cooked, while stirring occasionally.
- Strain it using a strainer and let the water drain out. Pour some cold water on the rice to stop further cooking.
- Let all the water from the rice drain out ensuring that the rice does not contain any moisture.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp of oil and toss the rice in it.
- Spread the cooked rice on a flat surface and allow it to cool for 10 minutes.
- Use as required.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per cup
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.