Added to 257 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 24958 times
Cannelloni is a homemade pasta, generally prepared with plain flour and a rich garnish of cheese. Here is a healthy 207-calorie version of this tasty main course, prepared with whole wheat flour and low-calorie mozzarella cheese. The cannelloni sheets, stuffed with spinach and low-fat paneer, radiates a distinctive feel, further accentuated by the lovely topping of freshly prepared tomato sauce. Though tedious to prepare, this is a brilliant one dish meal to try your hand at occasionally.
- Combine the whole wheat flour, ½ tsp of oil and salt in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and roll each portion into a 100 mm. (4”) diameter thin circle using a little wheat flour for rolling.
- Boil a vesselful of water, add the remaining ½ tsp of oil and when it starts boiling drop one circle at a time, cook for ½ minute and remove. Refresh using cold water drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions and garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the fresh tomato pulp, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the sugar, chilli powder, oregano and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Divide the stuffing into 8 equal portions and keep aside.
- Place a cooked pasta sheet on a flat, dry surface, place a portion of the stuffing on one side of the pasta sheet and roll it up tightly.
- Repeat step 2 to make 7 more stuffed cannellonis. Keep aside.
- Spread the prepared tomato sauce evenly in a baking dish.
- Place the stuffed cannelloni on it and pour the white sauce evenly over it.
- Finally sprinkle the cheese evenly over it.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 10 minutes or till the cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.
- It is advisable to make the tomato sauce before the cannelloni sheets as the sheets tend to stick to each other if kept for long.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serve
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.