Burritos, Veg Whole Wheat Burritos, Diabetic Friendly
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 511 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 37287 times
This recipe proves that diabetics can have most of their favourite foods, provided they make some smart twists in the cooking method and ingredients.
Tortillas, which are like the pillars of Mexican cooking, are usually made with maize flour and maida, both of which are no-no for diabetics.
Maize flour, especially, can cause blood sugar levels to dart up instantly! Here, we have made delicious Whole Wheat Burritos by using more of wheat flour and less of maize flour.
While refried beans and salsa are also fibre-rich, we have enhanced the recipe further by using nutritious and fibrous veggies like spring onions and cabbage to add volume without relying totally on refried beans.
- Divide the refined beans and tomato salsa into 6 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Place a whole wheat mexican tortilla on a clean, dry surface, spread a portion of the refried beans evenly on one side of the tortilla.
- Top it with a portion of the tomato salsa, 1 tbsp of cabbage and 1 tsp of spring onions evenly over it.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make 5 more burritos.
- Serve immediately.
- It is highly recommended that this recipe be relished by diabetics only occasionally and in small quantities. This is just a mere ‘treat’ and does not qualify for a regular diabetic menu.
Nutrient values per burrito
|Energy|| 90 kcal|
|Protein|| 3.4 gm|
|Carbohydrates|| 16.3 gm|
|Fat|| 1.3 gm|
|Vitamin|| 1043.9 mcg|
|Vitamin C|| 41.8 mg|
|Calcium|| 52.9 mg|
|Iron|| 1.6 mg|
|Folic Acid|| 24.7 mcg|
|Fibre|| 2.2 gm|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.