by Tarla Dalal
Added to 86 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 66773 times
Stylish, peppy khichdi! Layer the khichdi with a simple onion, curds and red paste gravy to make a tongue-tickling delicacy. Serve hot with low fat curds to enjoy a totally scrumptious meal.
Toovar dal, milk and curds, most of the ingredients used in this dish brim with protein and calcium, which are important for growing bones and new body cells.
While making the gravy, remember to add curds after switching off the gas to avoid curdling.
- Soak the brown rice and dal in a deep bowl using enough water for 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the saffron and low-fat milk in a bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Combine the drained brown rice – dal mixture, saffron-milk mixture, salt and 2½ cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat a broad non-stick pan, add the onions and dry roast on a slow flame for 4 minutes or till the onions turn golden brown in colour.
- Add the red paste and dry roast on a slow flame for 1 more minute. Sprinkle a little water if the mixture starts burning.
- Add the garam masala, sugar and salt and mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Remove from the flame, add the curds and whisk well. Keep aside.
- Heat a small non-stick pan, add the onions and dry roast on a slow flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till they turn golden brown in colour. Keep aside.
- Divide the khichdi into 3 equal portions and the gravy into 2 equal portions.
- Put the milk at the bottom of a glass baking tray, spread half the browned onions evenly.
- Spread one portion of the khichdi in an even layer over it. Then spread one portion of the gravy evenly.
- Spread another portion of the khichdi, then a portion of the gravy and then another portion of the khichdi in even layers.
- Sprinkle the remaining browned onions over it and cover with an aluminium foil.
- Bake the khichdi in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 8 minutes or microwave on high for 1 minute. Ensure you do not use aluminium foil while microwaving, as it may cause a spark.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.