by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 4 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 2980 times
Here’s a loaf that looks good and tastes better. This lip-smacking loaf is made of an optimal mix of whole wheat flour and plain flour fortified with a good dose of beetroot and milk, which gives it a satiating texture and rich flavour, not to forget its pretty colour. Pamper yourself with a warm slice of this bread smothered with butter.
Try other bread recipes like Masala Bread Loaf or Whole Wheat Bread .
- Combine the yeast, sugar and ¼ cup of lukewarm water in a bowl and mix gently. Cover it with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine all the ingredients, including the yeast mixture in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a soft and loose dough using enough lukewarm water.
- Knead the dough again for 5 minutes till smooth and place it in a greased deep bowl.
- Cover it with a damp muslin cloth and keep aside in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- After the dough has rested for 45 minutes, dust the plain flour over a smooth, flat surface, place the dough over it and knead it well using both your hands.
- Stretch the dough with your fingers to make a 250 mm. X 200 mm. (10” x 8”) diameter oval shape.
- Roll the dough from one end to the other and to make a 200 mm. (8”) long cylindrical roll like a swiss roll and pinch the edge of the rolls so as to seal it properly.
- Place the dough in a greased rectangular aluminium tin of 200 mm. X 25 mm (8" x 3") tin with the pinched edge facing downwards. Cover it with a damp muslin cloth and again keep aside in a warm place for 30 minutes, or till it doubles in size.
- Pre-heat the oven at 200°c (400°f) for 10 minutes and place the tin in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to 180°c (360°f) and bake it for 20 minutes keep aside to cool slightly.
- Once the bread loaf is slightly cooled, de-mould and brush it with melted butter evenly over it.
- Cut the bread loaf into thick 14 slices using a sharp knife.
- Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container and use as required.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per slices
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.