Basic Sponge Cake
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 352 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 277746 times
Oh, can’t imagine life without a basic sponge! Indeed, whether you want to make a simple cake, or an elaborate one for a special occasion, its success depends entirely on the Basic Sponge Cake.
Here is a basic sponge recipe, which uses eggs. Its softness, and the rich flavour of vanilla are very enjoyable, and you will find this sponge suitable for plenty of marvelous creations. You can try these out - Tiramisu , Cassata , Cardamom Orange Cake , Fresh Fruit Gateau , Gateau Citronella .
- Sieve the plain flour and baking powder in a deep bowl and keep aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl, mix well using a spatula till smooth. Keep aside.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and mix gently with help of a spatula.
- Finally, add the plain flour mixture, vanilla essence and milk and fold gently using a spatula.
- Grease and dust a175 mm. (7") diameter cake tin and transfer the batter into it.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200ºc (400ºf) for 30 minutes.
- Keep aside to cool slightly. Demould and use as required.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per slice
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.