Basic Kadai Gravy, Popular Restaurant Style Kadai Gravy Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 148 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 233457 times
Of a semi-dry consistency, and with the prominent flavour of tomatoes, kadhai based gravies are just perfect for the Indian palate. The Basic Kadhai Gravy is reddish brown in colour and more on the spicier side because of the red chillies used.
The tangy tinge and spicy notes of the gravy appeal to most people, which makes it a perfect fit in buffet or wedding menus. The gravy can be used with an assortment of veggies and of course, paneer too, lending itself to a wide spread of recipes like Kadhai Paneer , Kadhai Khumbh Subzi and Kadhai Paneer Subzi .
- Combine the red chillies and coriander seeds and dry roast on a hot tava (griddle), for 30 seconds.
- Remove and keep aside to cool.
- Blend in a mixer to a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai, add the garlic and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the prepared powder and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for another 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 to 12 minutes or till the oil separates, while stirring occasionally.
- Mash it a little using a potato masher.
- Add the tomato puree, dried fenugreek leaves, garam masala, salt and approx 2 tbsp water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes. Use as required.
- Use this gravy on the same day to make recipes of your choice.
- If you wish to store it in the deep-freezer for a few weeks , cool the gravy completely, pour in food-grade zip lock bags or airtight containers and store under refrigerated conditions.
- While making the subzi using the stored gravy, thaw and use it as per the recipe.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per cup
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.