Basic Chettinad Paste
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 25 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 35216 times
Chettiars, the natives of Chettinad, are a very successful trading community, and history speaks of the key role they played in trading Indian spices with other countries like Burma.
Perhaps because of their expertise in spices and the abundance of these goods in the region, Chettinad cuisine is marked by its spicy flavour and rich texture, which is evident from the ingredients that go into the preparation of the Basic Chettinad Paste, a masala that is used to make popular accompaniments like the Chettinad Curry .
- Combine the poppy seeds and cashewnuts in a bowl, add 3 tbsp of warm water and keep aside to soak for 10 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds and fennel seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the coriander seeds, red chillies, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and coconut, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes or till you get a pleasant aroma. Keep aside to cool.
- Once cooled, combine the poppy seeds-cashew mixture, roasted mixture , salt and ¼ cup of water and blend till smooth.
- Use as required for recipes or store in deep-freezer in an airtight container or a sealed poly bag.
- You can use ¼ cup grated dry coconut (kopra) instead of fresh coconut.
- Use this gravy on the same day to make recipes of your choice. If you wish to store it in the deep-freezer for a few weeks, avoid adding coconut as the gravy may get spoilt on storing.
- Pour in food-grade zip lock bags or airtight containers and store under refrigerated conditions. While making the subzi using the stored gravy, thaw and use it as per the recipe.
- Towards the end, add 3 tbsp coconut milk instead of freshly grated coconut, mix well and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
Nutrient values per cup
|Vitamin A||279.6 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1 mg|
|Vitamin C||1 mg|
|Folic Acid||12.5 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.