Tandoori Roti, Tandoori Roti On A Tava
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 48 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 124914 times
Every time we are at a restaurant we are tempted to order Tandoori Rotis, because we think we cannot make it at home.
While it is awesome to bite into authentic rotis cooked in a wood-fired clay oven, you will be excited to know that the same wonderful taste and texture can be replicated at home using the humble tava!
A dough of whole wheat flour and yeast flavoured with a dash of garlic yields fabulous Tandoori Rotis, which can be cut into wedges and served with a platter of kebabs , tikkis and chutneys .
- Combine the dry yeast, sugar and 1½ tbsp of warm water in a bowl, mix well and cover and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine all the ingredients, including the yeast mixture into a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Cover with a damp muslin cloth and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions.
- Roll a portion of the dough into a 150 mm. (6”) diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) on a high flame and when hot, place the roti gently over it.
- Cook it till small blisters appear on the surface. Turn over the roti and cook for few more seconds.
- Cook it on an open flame till it puffs up and brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Repeat with the remaining dough portions to make 7 more rotis.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per roti
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.