Indian Home Remedies for Headache + Recipes to Relieve Headache
Headache occurs to each individual at some time or the other.
Causes of Headaches
It has many causes which are physiological or psychological, some of which are listed below.
• Hypoglycemia i.e. low blood sugar levels due to non-consumption of food
• Excessive strain on eyes
• Lack of vitamins and minerals in the body leading to physical weakness that manifests itself in the form of a headache
• Other illness like sinusitis and migraine
• Cold and cough
5 Home Remedies to Relieve Headache
1. Ginger: An equal proportion of ginger juice and lemon juice when consumed brings instant relief from headache. The gingerol compound present in ginger is known to reduce the inflammation in the blood vessels of the head. Try the recipe of Ginger Lemon Cup to overcome headache.
Ginger Lemon Drink, for Weight Loss, Detox, Anorexia
Alternatively, you can also sip on Ginger Tea. A soothing drink with the refreshing flavour of ginger, the ginger tea is sure to warm your soul and make you feel better. It will help soothe cold and cough if any too!
Ginger Tea, Ginger Water for Cold and Cough
2. Turmeric (haldi) : One tsp of turmeric powder mixed in a glass of milk and boiled for 5 to 10 minutes is an effective remedy against headache. You can try Ajwain and Turmeric Milk which is made without sugar.
Ajwain and Turmeric Milk
3. Tulsi (Indian basil): Tulsi in combination with lemon is an age-old remedy for headache. While chewing tulsi leaves everyday in the morning is considered the best immune building way, you can also opt for a Tulsi Tea. A headache due to cold and cough can be relieved easily.
4. Cinnamon (dalchini): A paste made with cinnamon and water should be applied on the forehead 2 to 3 times every day.
5. Cloves (laung / lavang): A fine mixture of cloves and salt with water or milk is a common cure for headache. You can also crush a few cloves, place it in a small piece of cloth or handkerchief and inhale it.
Foods to be Avoided when you have a headache
• Tea and coffee
• Fermented foods like dhokla, idli, dosa, cheese etc.
• Chilled beverages and ice-creams
• Pickles and preserved foods
• Aerated drinks and alcohol
A Few Ways to Chase a Headache Away
The best therapy for a headache is one that suits the malady that it comes with. Here are a few ways that work well for most headaches.
1. Stay hydrated. Drink a lot of water. Sometimes dehydration is the cause of headache and nausea accompanied with it.
2. Try and restrict the consumption of sugar. Though sugar in small quantities actually helps to cure headaches, excess sugar may trigger a headache or sometimes worsen an already existing one.
3. Apply peppermint oil on the forehead. It is known to open up the clogged blood vessels of the head. The smell of this oil is also pleasing. Get relaxed and request a friend or a family member to massage for 4 to 5 minutes. A stress related headache will vanish with a warm oil head massage accompanied
4. Avoid smoking as it can aggravate the headache.
5. Indulge in any activity you enjoy. Listen to music, go for a walk or cook as it keeps our mind and body fresh and alert.
6. Eat a nourishing small meal. A headache due to non-consumption of food for the past few hours leading to excessive acidity can be cured easily.
7. Have a warm water bath. This is a way to relieve stress related headache.