Last Updated : Dec 16,2020
Viewed 41265 times
Also Known as
What is worcestershire sauce?
Worcestershire sauce is widely used fermented vinegar based liquid condiment, used extensively in cooking, marinades, and as a table flavoring. It is characterized by spicy flavour, sediment, and thin supernatant liquid.
Worcestershire Sauce, from the south Midland region of England, is world famous and is not really a sauce but a flavoring. The ingredients that provide its unique taste include tamarind or extract, anchovies, vinegar, molasses, corn syrup, water, chilli peppers, soy sauce, pepper, onions, shallots, cloves and garlic. The sauce is aged for at least two months - usually longer - before it is bottled.
How to select worcestershire sauce
Available year-round Vegetarian sauces, minus the anchovies, are available. Lea and Perrins is the only brand that can label its sauce "Original and Genuine."Pricing will vary widely among brands, based mainly on ingredients. Hence choose accordingly, verifying on the manufacturing date.
Culinary Uses of worcestershire sauce
· Always shake well before using.
· It is the perfect marinade for any dish.
· Add to hamburger patties for extra juiciness.
· It is widely used as flavouring in stews and is one of the key ingredients in a Bloody Mary cocktail.
· It is also used in some Caesar salad recipes and improves cheese on toast immeasurably.
· Worcestershire Sauce is widely used as a dipping sauce in Chinese cuisine
· A dash of Worcestershire sauce gives a lift to almost any savoury recipe, especially casseroles, soups, grilled meats and cheese dishes.
· Frequently eaten with bread, toast or crackers
· A simpler version uses Worcestershire sauce with cheese on toast, with the sauce added to the plain version during the grilling process.
· Worcestershire sauce (known as salsa inglesa in Spanish) is an essential ingredient of the popular Mexican beer cocktail, the Michelada.
· People also use it to flavour cheeseburgers.
· Savour it in stews and soups, sauces and dressings.
· Drizzle over cheese on toast before popping under the grill: sprinkle into marinades for a hint of spice, add a dash to fried tomatoes… you'll be surprised how many dishes can be woken up with Worcestershire Sauce
How to store worcestershire sauce
Worcestershire sauces will remain stable for at least two years unopened at room temperature. Refrigerate after opening and use within two months for optimum freshness. However, it will remain usable for much longer. Cannot be frozen, unless as an ingredient in other foods.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.