• Ground flax seeds can be mixed in with oatmeal, yogurt, cereal mixes, or any other food item where a nutty flavour is appropriate.
• Flax seed sprouts have a slightly spicy flavour, which goes well in salads and subzis.
• Add flax seeds to homemade muffins, cookies or breads.
• To give cooked vegetables a nuttier flavour, sprinkle some ground flax seeds on top of them.
• Add some flax seed powder or oil to milkshakes and smoothies.
• However, use in moderation as excessive consumption of flax seeds can cause diarrhoea.
How to store flax seeds, alsi, alsi seeds, alsi ke beej
• Flax seeds are chemically stable while whole, and milled flax seed can be stored at least four months at room temperature with minimal or no changes in taste and smell.
• If you purchase whole flax seeds, store them in an airtight container in a dark, dry and cool place where they will keep fresh for several months.
• Ground flax seed can go rancid at room temperature in as little as one week. So, store in a sealed container, preferably refrigerated.
Nutritional Information for 1 serving of Alsi, Flaxseeds
One serving of flaxseeds is 1 Tablespoon which is 10 grams.
RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance.
1.83 grams of Protein
2.89 grams of Carbs
4.22 grams of Fat
65.8 mg of Magnesium (Mg)
= 18.8% of RDA (about 350 mg)
107.9 mg of Phosphorus (P)
= 17.98% of RDA (about 600 mg)
0.16 mg of Vitamin B1, Thiamine
= 12.30% of RDA (about 1.2 to 1.5 mg)
2.73 grams of Fibre
= 10.92% of RDA (about 25 grams)
8.76 mcg of Folic Acid
= 4.38% of RDA (about 200 mcg)
25.5 mg of Calcium (Ca)
= 4.25% of RDA (about 600 mg)
0.82 mg Vitamin E
= 4.10% of RDA (about 20 mg)
0.43 mg of Zinc (Zn)
= 3.90% of RDA (about 10 to 12 mg)
0.57 mg of Iron (Fe)
= 2.71% of RDA (about 21 mg)
0.31 mg of Vitamin B3, Niacin
= 2.58% of RDA (about 12 mg)
0.02 mg of Vitamin B2, Riboflavin
= 1.81% of RDA (about 1.1 mg)
81.3 mg of Potassium (K)
= 1.72% of RDA (about 4,700 mg)
1.91 mcg of Vitamin K
= 1.59% of RDA (about 120 mcg)
0.03 mg of Vitamin B6, Pyridoxine
= 1.50% of RDA (about 2 mg)
3.0 mg of Sodium (Na) = 0.15% of RDA (about 1902 mg)
Health benefits of flax seeds, alsi, alsi seeds, alsi ke beej 1. Keeps you Lean :
Since it’s got healthy fats and loaded with fibre, flaxseeds will keep you fuller for a longer time and result you in not eating junk food. Therefore, aids in weight loss.2. High Fibre :
Flaxseeds are high in soluble
and insoluble fibre
. We all need fibre
in our healthy diet. Fibre promotes regular bowel movements. This is required for prevention of constipation. Flaxseeds are also useful for people with Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Diverticular disease (1)
.3. Gluten Free :
Since flaxseeds are gluten free. They are great for those who are gluten intolerant.
Click here to know more about the 12 Awesome Health Benefits of Alsi, Flaxseeds