Last Updated : Jun 29,2018
Viewed 348 times
Also Known as
Psyllium Husk , psyllium, Ispaghula and Blond psyllium
Description of Isabgol
Isabgol is the husk of the seed from several plants of the genus Plantago. It contains mucilage that acts as an laxative and helps in improving digestion, relieves constipation. It has no taste and odor. It is generally consumed after soaking in water.
How to Select Isabgol
Isabgol is available in the market. Check the expiry date before buying and feel for lumpiness (sign of moisture inside the packet).
3 Culinary Uses of Isabgol
1. It is widely used in Keto and Paleo diet recipes.
2. Try this gluten free Jowar, Rajgira, Banana and Chia Seeds Bread and relish it guilt-free.
3. It is also used as a thickening agent while making ice-creams and frozen desserts.
How to Store Isabgol
Isabgol should be stored in an airtight container placed in a cool, dark, dry place.
6 Health Benefits of Isabgol
1. Isabgol is basically a fiber which acts as a laxative. It adds bulk to stools and helps overcome constipation.
2. It can help to treat diarrhea by absorbing water and increasing stool thickness, thus slowing down its passage through the digestive tract.
3. It slows down the process of digestion and thus aids in controlling a spike in blood sugar levels.
4. The dietary fiber in Isabgol helps reduce cholesterol levels too and thus lowering the risk of heart diseases.
5. Isabgol absorbs water and gives you a feeling of satiety. So it can prevent you from overeating and helping you achieve your weight loss goals.
6. To some extent it can help ease Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). But since these patients episodes of diarrhea and constipation both, studies have found mixed results for its usage.
It is locally available in powder form at all medical stores. However consult your doctor for daily dosage and also remember it works wonders only in the presence of water. So drinking plenty of water along with Isabgol is a must.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.