by Tarla Dalal
Added to 14 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 21927 times
Dabeli is Gujarat’s answer to vada pav. It is a sandwich-like snack in which bread is perked up with a sweet and spicy potato filling. Dabeli Bhajiya is an interesting variant of this favourite street food, wherein the potato packed bread is deep-fried to make crisp bhajiyas, and served with peppy chutneys.
The dabeli stuffing is flavoured with a special dabeli masala, which gives it a unique taste, and we have also added some masala peanuts to add a bit of crunch to the filling. Remember to squeeze the moist bread slices well before adding the stuffing and shaping it, because it will absorb a lot of oil if it is watery.
Serve juices like Coconut and Orange Drink , Fruity Mango Juice or Mara Mara Juice to complement these spicy, chatpatta bhajias.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the dabeli masala and chilli powder and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the khajur imli ki chutney, garlic chutney, potatoes, lemon juice and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the masala peanuts and mix well. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Trim the sides of all the bread slices on a clean, dry surface and trim the sides. Keep aside.
- Place a bread slice on a clean, dry surface, dip it lightly in a bowl of water and squeeze it lightly between your palms to remove the excess water.
- Place a little stuffing in the centre of the bread, bring together all the sides towards the centre and seal it tightly to form a round ball.
- Repeat step 2 and 3 to shape 34 more bhajiyas.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai and deep-fry a few bhajia at a time on a medium flame, till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Serve immediately with garlic chutney and khajur imli ki chutney.
Dabeli Bhajiya Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per bhajiya
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.