How many calories does one Chum Chum have?
One Chum Chum gives 255 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 153 calories, proteins account for 22 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 81 calories. One Chum Chum provides about 13 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See recipe Chum Chum recipe. chum chum recipe | cham cham sweet recipe | Bengali chomchom recipe | Diwali sweet | with 8 amazing images.
chum chum is a Bengali mithai made using chenna. Learn how to make chomchom recipe.
These oval shaped Diwali sweet - chum chum is cooked in sugar syrup and stuffed with a mixture of mawa. We have added refined flour (maida) to the prepared chenna which provides stiffness and helps to maintain a proper shape.
To make chum chum, combine chenna and maida and mix well. Divide into 10 portions. Take each portion, one by one, between the palms of our hands and shape it into 100 mm. (4”) oval. Then combine the sugar with 3 cups of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and allow it to boil on medium flame for 5-6 minutes. Gently add the chum chums in the sugar syrup and boil on medium flame for 12-15 minutes and drain well. For stuffing, cook all ingredients for 5 to 6 minutes. Cool it completely. Slit each chum chum, stuff it and garnish with almond slivers.
Other than the mawa, you also add some dates, figs or cashews to make cham cham sweet. You can even skip the stuffing and drizzle rabri on top of it or simply garnish using coconut and pistachios.
Tips for chum chum. 1. Use freshly made chenna. 2. Crumble the mawa well so that you get a uniform mixture. 3. While shaping them, take care to see that there are no cracks on the surface. 4. While draining them after cooking, pick gently and add them to the sugar syrup. 5. Always keep them refrigerated.
Try similar recipes like Rose Sandesh or Rasmalai.
Is Chum Chum healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Milk and Low Fat Milk : 1 cup of milk provides 70% of the Recommended Daily Allowance of Calcium. Milk promotes strong bones. The Calcium in Milk helps to protect your teeth against gum disease and keeps your jaw bone strong and healthy. Milk is low in carbs and therefore does not raise blood glucose levels. However diabetics must consider including low fat milk as advised by their dietitian only so as to avoid any fluctuations in blood sugar levels. Protein is another key nutrient which milk is rich in - 8.6 g from a cup. So all those looking to build protein stores can add milk and its products like curd and paneer to their diet. One cup of Milk gives 10 grams of carbs. Low fat milk has lower fat and the same benefits of milk.
2. Almonds (badam) : Almonds are rich in B complex vitamins such as Vitamin B1, Thiamine, Vitamin B3, Niacin and Folate which plays an important role in the brain development. Almonds balances your cholesterol levels. almonds have a very low glycemic index and good for diabetics. See all 13 super health benefits of almonds.
3. Paneer : Paneer (Mava) contains high quality protein and calcium which aids in weight loss. Since paneer is low in carbs and high in protein it gets digested slowly and hence good for diabetes. Potassium in paneer helps to reduce the effect of high sodium, by lowering blood pressure and contraction of blood vessels, resulting in improved heart health and reduced risk of heart attack. Great for weight loss and read the interesting article on is paneer good for you?
4. Mawa / Khoya: Mawa being a dairy product is a concentrated source of vitamin D and calcium - two nutrients essential for bone health. But mawa is high in calories. It is high in fat too as it is made with full fat milk. Further it is used in Indian cooking to make sweets, so it is loaded with sugar. This further adds on empty calories.
5. Benefits of Cardamom, Elaichi : Cardamom has essential oil which is known to be effective is killing bacteria. This antimicrobial power of cardamom helps in relieving some stomach problems like stomachache, cramps, flatulence etc. The sweet yet strong aroma of cardamom makes it perfect to control Halitosis (bad breath). The mineral manganese in cardamom may help in the lower blood sugar levels and good for diabetics. See detailed benefits of cardamom.
What's the problem?
1. Plain flour (maida) : This recipe uses plain flour or maida which is refined carb not suitable for healthy lifestyle. Maida consumption in any food should be totally avoided or just a little bit of usage as any consumption of this will cause a larger spike in blood levels which is not good for diabetics, heart patients. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage. Read is maida good for you to understand fully.
2. Sugar : Sugar used in the recipe is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage. To live a healthy life, try and cut sugar which from your diet. It requires a slow and deliberate attempt to do it. Find hidden sugar in packaged foods and drinks and stop having those products. Did you know that a can of your favourite soft drink is estimated to have 1/2 cup of sugar. Refinded carbohydrates like maida, sugar, bread, pasta, noodles and sugar on consumption get stored as unhealthy fat in the body.
Note : 1 cup = 200 ml (standard cup available in the market). The weight in grams varies for each ingredient.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Chum Chum?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. Sugar used in the recipe is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage. To live a healthy life, try and cut sugar which from your diet. It requires a slow and deliberate attempt to do it.
What is a healthier Indian dessert option ?
We suggest you try low fat gajjar halwa recipe which uses dates as a sweetener and low fat milk which works well for diabetics. Also dry fruits suffed dates is healthy. Make oats and mixed nuts ladoo recipe which is sweetened by jaggery, oats and dates kheer and anjeer and mixed nuts barfi (not for diabetics).
Dry Fruit Stuffed Dates
Try a jowar based Indian dessert which is s a complex carb and will be absorbed slowly in the blood stream and not cause a spike in insulin. The jowar apple sheera recipe is made with the addition of cows milk and apples and sweetened with honey.
Can healthy individuals have one Chum Chum?
No. Too much sugar used.
One Chum Chum is high in
1. Calcium : Calcium is a mineral that makes bones stay strong. Required from kids to adults.
2. Phosphorous : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
3. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
4. Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) : Vitamin B2 enables the production of red blood cells that contribute to the rise in your energy levels. So have more milk, curds, eggs and green leafy vegetables
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 255 calories that come from Chum Chum?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1 hour 17 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 26 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 34 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 44 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.