Vegetable and Lentil Pulao
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 185 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 29805 times
A concoction of rice, dal, mixed veggies, saffron and fried onions, is layered with a rich gravy made with onion paste, and baked in an oven. This is a relatively easy-to-make main course, but the effect is grand because baking creates a ‘dum’ effect in the vegetable and lentil pulao.
- Boil the rice. Each grain of the cooked rice should be separate. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the dal and 1½ cups of water in a deep non-stick kadhai and cook on a medium flame for 10 to 15 minutes or till the dal is cooked. Keep aside.
- Combine the rice, dal, mixed vegetables, fried onions, saffron-milk mixture and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Divide the rice-dal mixture into 2 equal portions and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a broad non-stick pan, add the prepared onion paste and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the flame, add the curds, sugar and salt and mix well. Keep aside.
- Grease a microwave safe baking bowl with ghee, put 1 portion of the rice-dal mixture and spread it evenly using the back of a spoon.
- Pour the prepared curry and spread it evenly.
- Finally put all the remaining rice-dal mixture and spread it evenly.
- Pour the milk over it, cover with a lid and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180ºc (360ºf) for 15 to 20 minutes or microwave on high for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Just before serving, turn upside down on a big serving plate.
- Serve immediately with fresh curds.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.