Uppu Urundai, Steamed South Indian Breakfast Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 7 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 14507 times
Uppu Urundai is a quick and easy steamed South Indian breakfast recipe that is made with minimal ingredients. This no-fuss recipe can be made on any day without too much advance planning, though you need to have an hour to soak the rice.
If you do not have much time in the morning, you can even soak and grind the rice the previous night and keep it in the fridge. Bring it to room temperature in the morning and then proceed with the rest of the recipe.
Tempered with mustard seeds, red chillies and curry leaves, these steamed balls are very tasty with a pleasant, mildly-spiced flavour. Make sure you serve it immediately after steaming to enjoy the soft texture.
Try other South Indian breakfast recipes like Set Dosa or South Indian Filter Coffee .
- Soak the rice in enough water for 1 hour. Drain well.
- Blend it in a mixer using ¼ cup of water till smooth. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds, urad dal, cumin seeds, red chilli and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the curry leaves and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the prepared rice mixture, coconut and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Cool the mixture slightly.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions and roll each portion into a ball.
- Place the balls on a greased sieve and steam in a steamer for 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately with a chutney of your choice.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.