Upperi, Raw Banana Sweet Crispies, Recipe for Onam
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 5 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 6807 times
This is an awe-inspiring snack from the traditional cuisine of Kerala. Crunchy, deep-fried raw banana roundels are bathed in jaggery syrup and coated with powdered sugar to make a crisp and sweet snack with a rustic, traditional taste.
The coating of powdered sugar enhances the mouth-feel of the Upperi and gives it an appetizing appearance while spices like cardamom and dry ginger give it a wonderful aroma and taste.
When you add the powdered sugar, it might be a little difficult to mix because the syrup starts solidifying, but still make a good effort and mix it well with a spoon.
Once it starts cooling down, you can separate the pieces and coat each piece with your hands. After it cools down completely, store it in an airtight container. Upperi has a long shelf life.
Other variants of banana crisp recipes that you may like - Yellow Banana Chips and Banana Pepper Wafers .
- Heat the coconut oil in a deep non-stick pan and deep-fry the bananas a few at a time on a slow flame till they turn crispy and golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper. Keep aside.
- Combine the jaggery and ¼ cup of water in a broad non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 6 to 7 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the deep-fried bananas, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes or till they coat evenly, while stirring continuously.
- Add the cardamom powder and ginger powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Switch off the flame, cool for approx. 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix very very well to coat the bananas evenly. Cool completely at room temperature for atleast 1 to 2 hours.
- Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container. Use as required.
Nutrient values per cup
|Vitamin A||448 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.3 mg|
|Vitamin C||38.4 mg|
|Folic Acid||26.2 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.