Spicy Yellow Banana Chips, Banana Wafers, Raw Banana Wafers
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 8 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 3136 times
Yellow banana chips is an evergreen snack of Keralite origin, which has become popular all over India. The Surti bananas have a nice texture and rustic flavour, which make the chips quite special. Not only is the taste and texture different, so is the method.
You need to follow the instructions about slicing the bananas directly into the oil, the way the salt is added, and so on, to get the chips right.
The chips can be made in a longish size by slicing the bananas vertically, or in a small round shape (like usual chips) by slicing them horizontally. The small round ones are easier to slice and also cook faster, so we prefer that.
In this recipe, we have made Spicy Yellow Banana Chips by adding a touch of chilli and cumin powders to the chips, adding a spicy dimension to the crunchy excitement.
You can also try other recipes like the Yellow Banana Chips or Peri Peri Potato Chips .
- Heat the oil or coconut oil in a deep non-stick pan on a slow flame.
- Meanwhile, make light slits on the raw banana peels at equal distance while taking care not to slit the raw banana.
- Trim both the edges of the raw banana and gently remove the peel using your fingers. Keep aside.
- Combine the salt and 4 tbsp of water in a small bowl and mix well till the salt dissolves completely. Keep aside.
- Slice half the raw banana using a slicer directly into the hot oil.
- Allow the banana slices to cook for ½ minute and then add 1 tbsp of salt-water mixture to the oil. Let this cook for ½ minute again and then gently mix well using a slotted spoon.
- Continue cooking the chips on a medium flame till they turn crisp from both the sides and the spluttering sound of oil-water stops, while stirring occasionally. Remove the banana chips from the oil and drain on an absorbent paper.
- Repeat the same procedure to make more banana chips in 3 more batches.
- Immediately sprinkle the prepared spicy masala mixture evenly over it and toss gently.
- Cool completely and serve or store in an air-tight container.
Nutrient values per cup
|Vitamin A||324 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||19.2 mg|
|Folic Acid||13.1 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.