Pongal Kootu, South Indian Mixed Vegetable Curry
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
This recipe has been viewed 4695 times
Pongal Kootu is a tongue-tickling mixed vegetable curry made during Makar Sankaranthi or Pongal in South India. It is made with local vegetables that are in season at the cusp of winter and spring.
This curry brings together veggies and beans of different textures and flavours, cooked with tamarind pulp and dal, and flavoured with an aromatic and flavourful paste of roasted spices and coconut.
Although you can enjoy this Pongal Kootu immediately after preparation, it gets better and better as it cools down, as the veggies soak up the flavours of the spice paste and the kootu thickens to a curry-like consistency.
You can cook it in an earthen pot if you have one. It tastes great with hot rice or dosas , and is a classic combination for Ven Pongal and Chakkrai Pongal!
Try other South Indian recipes like Masala Vadas or Ginger Pachdi .
- Combine all the ingredients, except the coconut in small non-stick pan and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Cool completely, add the coconut and 5 tbsp of water in a mixer and blend till smooth. Keep aside.
- Combine the toovar dal, turmeric powder and 1¼ cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Transfer the dal into the deep non-stick pan, add the red pumpkin, raw banana, suran, tamarind pulp, salt and 1½ cups of water, mix well and cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 15 minutes ,while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared paste and 2 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Heat the coconut oil in a small non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add this to the kootu and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.