Poha and Sprouted Vatana Samosa
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 56 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 37235 times
Everybody loves samose, but the moment somebody hears the word, it is potatoes that come to mind. Surprise your family and friends with this off-beat samosa, made with a stuffing of beaten rice and sprouted green peas, flavoured perkily with green chillies, coriander and other ingredients.
A squeeze of lemon gives the stuffing a tangy tinge, making it all the more enjoyable. We have used samosa pattis to make the Poha and Sprouted Vatana Samosa, to make things a bit easier.
However, samosa pattis get cooked very fast, so fry the samosas on a medium flame to avoid them from getting burnt before the stuffing gets cooked properly.
Try other samosa recipes like Hariyali Samosa and Chinese Samosa .
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions, green chillies and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the poha, hara vatana sprouts, turmeric powder, lemon juice, sugar and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander and mix well.
- Divide the stuffing into 18 equal portions and keep aside.
- Place a samosa patti on a clean, dry surface and fold the right bottom corner of the samosa patti on the opposite side to form a triangle.
- Fold the entire triangle towards its left and again fold the entire triangle diagonally on the opposite side.
- Fill a portion of the stuffing and seal the edges using the plain flour-water mixture so that the filling does not spill out.
- Repeat steps 1 to 3 to make 17 more samosas.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, and deep-fry a few samosas, at a time on a medium flame, till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Serve immediately with green chutney.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.