Masala Bhaat, Maharashtrian Masala Bhaat Health Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 890 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 150465 times
This traditional Maharashtrian rice is an amazing combination of spicy flavours and mouth-watering textures. When served with low fat curds or raita , it makes a complete meal in itself. Instead of brinjals and tendli, you can choose vegetables that are handy and whip up an easy nutritious meal in a jiffy.
- Combine the cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cloves and peppercorns in a broad non-stick pan and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Remove from the flame and blend in a mixer to a smooth powder. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the ginger, green chillies, rice, tendli and green peas, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes
- Add 2½ cups of hot water, salt, turmeric powder and dry spice powder, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values per serving
|Energy|| 181 kcal|
|Protein|| 5.8 gm|
|Carbohydrate|| 371 gm|
|Fat|| 1.6 gm|
|Fibre|| 1.2 gm|
|Vitamin C|| 9.1 mg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.