Keerai Vadai, Amaranth Leaves Vada
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 1 cookbook
This recipe has been viewed 2175 times
Keerai Vadai is one of the most popular South Indian evening snacks, enjoyed with a hot cup of filter coffee. It is a crispy dal vada, perked up with chopped amaranth leaves.
Along with onions and usual taste enhancers like ginger, coriander and curry leaves, this recipe also includes fennel seeds, which is very important to get the classic, characteristic taste of these vadas.
The Keera Vadai is best had with coconut chutney because the mellow, creamy taste of the chutney complements the spicy and crispy vada beautifully. Serve it hot and fresh after draining the oil.
You can also try other recipes like Chawli Masoor Dal or Spicy Chawli Leaves and Spinach Stuffed Parathas .
- Soak the chana dal, arhar dal, urad dal and fennel seeds in enough water in a deep bowl and keep aside for 2 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Remove ¼ cup of soaked and drained chana dal mixture in a bowl and keep aside.
- Blend the remaining chana dal mixture in a mixer to a coarse mixture without using any water.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add all the remaining ingredients, including the soaked and drained chana dal mixture and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 16 equal portions and shape each portion into 50 mm. (2”) diameter round flat vada.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and deep-fry, a few vadas at a time on a medium flame, till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Serve immediately with coconut chutney.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per vada
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.