Focaccia Bread, Homemade Italian Soft Bread
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 17 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 4604 times
Focaccia Bread is a soft Italian bread that is sure to elevate the standard of any meal it is served with. This famous bread can be used to make sandwiches, toast or bread-based starters.
Loaded with herbs and black olives, the Focaccia Bread is bursting with flavours. So, you can just toast it, brush it with butter or olive oil and serve it with a steaming hot bowl of soup or pasta , to make a first-class meal.
Do not reduce the amount of olive oil used in this recipe, or the bread might not come out well.
You can also try other recipes like the Onion and Thyme Focaccia or Four Cheese Pizza .
- Combine the yeast, sugar and 2 tbsp of warm water in a small bowl, mix well and cover it with a lid and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Combine the plain flour, 6 tsp of olive oil, yeast-sugar mixture and salt, mix well and knead it into soft dough using enough warm water.
- Transfer the dough on a clean dry surface, and knead it well till smooth and form a ball.
- Grease a deep bowl with 2 tsp of olive oil and place the dough in it and cover it with a cling wrap.
- Place the dough in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- Remove the cling wrap and knead it again in the bowl till smooth.
- Grease an aluminium tin of 200 mm. X 150 mm. (10” x 6”) with 2 tsp of olive oil and place the dough over it and spread it using your fingers and creating depressions with finger tips.
- Pour 2 tsp of olive oil over it, sprinkle rosemary , olives and sea salt evenly over it and press it lightly.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 15 minutes.
- Brush with 2 tsp of olive oil evenly over it.
- Cool slightly, demould it and cut into square pieces or as required and serve.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per piece
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.