Ela Ada Recipe, Sweet Rice Pancake
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 3 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 19993 times
Ela Ada is a traditional sweet delicacy from Kerala, made by steaming stuffed rice flour pancakes wrapped in a banana leaf.
Here, we have shown the Ela Ada with a coconut and jaggery stuffing. On special occasions, it may also be made with a stuffing of sweetened jackfruit pulp.
Ela means leaf, and this sweet rice pancake is named so because it gets a special aroma and flavour by being steamed in banana leaves.
The Ela Ada is a very famous and favourite dish in Kerala, and is made by Keralites wherever in the world they are. Serve it as an evening snack with a cup of hot milky tea!
You can also try other recipes like Banana Pongal or Paal Payasam .
- Combine the jaggery and ¼ cup of water in a broad non-stick, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coconut and cardamom powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Switch off the flame, add ghee and mix well. Keep aside.
- Combine the rice flour, salt and ghee in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough adding enough hot water using a spoon and then once cooled slightly use your hands and knead well. Keep aside.
- Divide the jaggery stuffing into 6 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Wet your fingers with little water and divide the dough into 6 equal portions.
- Place a banana leaf on a clean, dry surface, put a little water on it and spread it evenly. Place a portion of the dough on it and pat the dough to flatten it to make a 150 mm. (6”) diameter circle. If you find it difficult to spread it you can lightly dip your fingers in water and then continue.
- Place a portion of the jaggery stuffing in the centre of the circle.
- Fold along with the banana leaf to seal it and make a semi-circle.
- Press the edges well by pressing with your fingers to seal it completely.
- Repeat steps 3 to 6 to make 5 more ela adas.
- Steam 2 ela adas in a steamer for 12 to 15 minutes or till done.
- Remove the ela adas from the steamer and cool slightly.
- Repeat steps 8 and 9 to cook 4 more ela adas.
- Serve warm.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per ela ada
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.