5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 90 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 54121 times
This divine mithai is also called "Besan ki Chakki" or "Mohanthal". This is usually made at weddings and on special occasions. It is a complicated mithai to make and one needs a little practice to perfect this recipe. It is traditionally made with coarsely ground besan, so that the barfi has a nice chewy texture, but since it is difficult to obtain coarsely ground besan, you can also use plain besan instead.
- Place the gram flour in a bowl.
- Heat the ghee and pour half of it over the gram flour.
- Rub the ghee into the gram flour till the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Put the remaining hot ghee in a kadhai, add the gram flour mixture and cook till the mixture is golden brown, stirring continuously.
- Add the grated khoya and cardamom powder and stir for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool till it is warm.
- Mix the sugar with water in a pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the milk to the boiling sugar syrup.
- The impurities will from a grey layer. Remove this layer gently using a slotted spoon.
- Simmer till the syrup is of 1 string consistency. Keep the syrup hot.
- Pour the hot sugar syrup over the cooked gram flour mixture and stir well.
- Pour into a greased 225 mm. (9") diameter thali with 25 mm. (1") high sides.
- Sprinkle chopped almonds and pistachios on top and allow to set for 4 to 5 hours.
- Cut into 25 mm. (1") squares.
- Serve at room temperature.
- To test if the sugar syrup has reached a 1 string consistency, lift some with a spoon and let it trickle down.
- If the syrup is dense and leaves a threadlike trail, it is ready to be used.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||118 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.4 mg|
|Vitamin C||0.6 mg|
|Folic Acid||24.3 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.