Coconut Barley Soup
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 12 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 21406 times
Can something be soothing and peppy at the same time? Yes! In this unique Coconut Barley Soup, coconut milk, milk and barley provide a soothing base, while pungent ginger, garlic and green chillies provide a spicy touch enhanced by the lemon grass and spring onions. This zesty soup is made more sumptuous and colourful by the addition of cubed carrots.
- Heat the butter in a deep non-stick pan, add the garlic, ginger, green chillies, lemon grass and spring onions, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the carrots, barley, salt and 3 cups of water, mix well and cover and cook on a medium flame for 7 to 8 minutes or till the carrots are cooked, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coconut milk, milk and coriander, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes or till the soup comes to a boil, while stirring occasionally.
- Discard the lemon grass and serve hot.
- To make 1 cup cooked barley – bring enough water to boil, add ½ cup barley and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and keep aside
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||436.1 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B3||2.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||11.9 mg|
|Folic Acid||9 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.