Cocoa Walnut Squares
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 706 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 70918 times
Umm... it is richer than simple cocoa walnut muffins, quite different from brownies, not really a cake, and not a plain loaf either... well, you cannot decipher the Cocoa Walnut Squares because they are not only unique but too mesmerizing to analyze the experience! Made with readily available ingredients and a bit of ingenuity, the Cocoa Walnut Squares use the perfect proportions of cocoa, sugar and butter in the cake as well as the sauce, to deliver a tantalizingly chocolaty experience. The walnuts are a smart addition to this dessert, as too pure a chocolate flavour can get a bit saturating at times.
- Sieve the plain flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and keep aside.
- Combine the curds, milk, butter, sugar and vanilla essence in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture and ½ cup of water and mix well.
- Pour the prepared cake batter into a greased and dusted 175 mm. (7”) diameter tin and spread it evenly.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°c (360°f) for 30 to 35 minutes or till done.
- The cake is ready when it leaves the sides of the tin and is springy to touch.
- When ready, remove from the oven, cool for 10 minutes, invert the tin over a plate and tap sharply to unmould the sponge. Keep aside.
- Combine the butter, sugar, cocoa powder and milk in a broad non-stick pan and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Add the vanilla essence and mix well. Keep aside.
- Cut the cake into 16 equal squares.
- Top each square with little of the sauce and finally sprinkle some walnuts over it.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per square
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.