Added to 173 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 114570 times
Dal-baati is incomplete without the quintessential "Churma". Churma is made using coarsely ground wheat flour, besan or maize flour. The most celebrated of all is the wheat flour churma that can be is shaped into laddus. I discovered that the more ghee you add to the churma mixture, the easier it is to shape these laddus. If you use ghee sparingly as we have done in this recipe, you will need to use a lot more pressure to shape them. You can also serve the churma crumbled in which case, you do not need to make laddus. I have also used rava in this recipe as I realised that it is sometimes difficult to find coarsely ground wheat flour easily. The rava adds that extra bite to the churma, greatly improving the texture of the whole wheat flour.
- Combine the whole wheat flour, semolina and melted ghee in a deep bowl and mix well. Add approx. ¼ cup of water and knead well to make a stiff dough.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions.
- Shape each dough portion in the shape of your fist and press with your fingers in the centre of each portion to make an indentation (as shown in the images 1 to 3).
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick kadhai and deep-fry, a few dough portions at a time on a slow flame, till they are golden brown in colour from all the sides. These will take a long time to fry as the insides also need to be cooked.
- Drain on an absorbent paper and allow them to cool.
- Grind the fried dough pieces in a blender into a fine powder.
- Add the almonds, cardamom powder and powdered sugar and mix well.
- Store in an air-tight container.
- Serve with dal-baati.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.