Butter Naan Without Using Yeast, Naan Made On Stove Top Or Tava
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 33 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 18909 times
Surprise your family by preparing these delicious naans right at home using everyday ingredients. You don’t even need yeast, and these Butter Naans can be cooked easily in a tava. Common ingredients like curds, baking soda, baking powder and butter help to produce the characteristic texture of the naan, while a sprinkling of black til boosts its aroma.
However, if you don’t wish to include til, you can just omit that step. Enjoy these Butter Naans made without using yeast, with a spicy gravy-based accompaniment like subzis and curries or dal .
- Combine the plain flour, curds, baking soda, baking powder, butter and salt in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a semi-stiff dough using enough water cover the dough with a damp muslin cloth and keep aside for 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions.
- Press a portion of the dough flat on a rolling board and sprinkle ½ tsp of black sesame seeds over it. Roll out into an oblong of 150 mm. (6") using a little plain flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and place the naan over it with the sesame seeds side facing downwards.
- Cook it on one side till it puffs slightly and then turn over.
- Cook it on the other side till it puffs a little and then roast it on an open flame till it turns golden brown from both the sides.
- Repeat the steps 4 to 6 to make 7 more naans.
- Brush each naan with a little butter and serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per naan
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.