by Tarla Dalal
Added to 10 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 31191 times
The perfect blend of spices for the perfect Biryani! Biryani Masala is an essential item in a typical Indian kitchen. Cooked with a mix of rice and veggies, it gives rise to an aromatic and flavourful Biryani that will steal everyone’s hearts.
Although this spice mix is readily available in stores, this homemade version will easily outdo all these. To get this masala right take care not to over-roast the ingredients.
You just need to roast them lightly to remove any moisture, and must ensure the ingredients do not change colour. If you are unsure of this, you can even keep them in the hot sun to dry. Also measure the quantity of ingredients properly to get the ideal mix of flavours.
You can also try making other Indian spice mixes like the Sambhar Masala and Homemade Tandoori Masala Powder .
- Put all the ingredients on a plate.
- Transfer all the ingredients except the turmeric and nutmeg powder in a broad non-stick pan and dry roast on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Switch of the flame, add the turmeric and nutmeg powder and mix well.
- Cool completely, and blend it in a mixer till smooth.
- Store it in an air-tight container and use as required.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.