Bengali Style Veg Chops, Healthy Low Salt Snack
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 3 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 4870 times
Chops is a cutlet-like snack that is very popular in Bengal. This is a healthy, vegetarian version of this evergreen snack, made with a medley of yummy veggies like potatoes, beetroot and carrots perked up with onions and spices to make it super tasty!
Here, we have made the Bengali Style Veg Chops healthy by cooking it on a tava instead of deep-frying in the usual way. If you take care and cook it on a slow flame as mentioned in the recipe, you will land up with amazingly tasty chops, just like the original!
Try other low-salt Bengali recipes like Masala Stuffed Parota and Healthy Stuffed Luchi .
- Combine the fennel seeds, cumin seeds and coriander seeds in a mortal pestle (khalbatta) till coarse. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the ginger paste and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the carrot and beetroot and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the chilli powder, prepared coarsely crushed powder, dried mango powder, salt and 1 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Transfer the mixture into a big plate, cool slightly, add the potatoes and pepper powder and mix very well.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions and roll each portion into an oblong shape.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it using the remaining ½ tsp of oil.
- Place the chops on it and cook using ½ tsp of oil till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per chop
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.