Banana Pongal, Sweet South Indian Banana Porridge
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 12 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 16309 times
Here is a traditional South Indian treat, which is prepared during most religious functions, especially during the harvest festival of Sankrant .
Of a consistency similar to khichdi, the Sweet Banana Pongal features a jaggery-flavoured mixture of cooked rice and lentils, served with a garnish of chopped bananas. An assortment of spices are used to impart an intense flavour to this rich dish.
As a variant, you can add a few crushed cloves too to the tempering to get a spicier taste. Make sure you lace the Sweet Pongal with melted ghee, as that boosts the aroma and flavour tremendously.
- Combine the dals in abroad non-stick pan and dry roast on a medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Combine the roasted dals, rice, milk and 2½ cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 6 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Combine the jaggery and ¾ cup of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 7 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the cooked rice-dal mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes ,while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the ghee in a small non-stick pan, add the cashewnuts and raisins and sauté on a slow flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the tempering to the jaggery-rice mixture, along with cardamom powder, nutmeg powder and saffron, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the bananas, mix well and serve immediately topped with melted ghee.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||179.3 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.1 mg|
|Vitamin C||3.7 mg|
|Folic Acid||12.4 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.